for August 2018
Consumer Advisor Online does not often review nutritional supplements, but since we have received dozens of requests for our opinion on the new diet supplement craze sweeping the nation, Garcinia Cambogia, we decided to weigh in and help demystify this so- called “wonder pill.”
We started hearing the buzz when Daytime TV Doctors, started touting Garcinia Cambogia for its weight loss benefits. And though we love the good Doctor and his purple gloves, we don’t love the droves of hucksters who prey on his loyal viewers trying to make a quick buck, often selling low-grade versions of his medical discoveries.
So, we researched over 72 popular brands being sold both online and in retail stores. We quickly learned that a 95% HCA pill is the best choice. The majority of products offer 50-80% HCA and some even less, but it’s simply not sufficient to get real results.
- These fads don’t work. The reality is that MOST of these products don’t work effectively. Maybe we’re cynical, but if you simply review the published studies on Garcinia Cambogia, you can quickly eliminate many of the products that don’t have “the right stuff.” The active ingredient in Garcinia Cambogia is the HCA and most companies sell a watered down version that is not effective for weight loss.The more brands we reviewed, the more we realized that many of these marketers are slapping slick labels on low-grade ingredients.
- Way Too Expensive. Our team saw it all! We reviewed products being sold at over $100 a bottle. That’s just way too much for something you don’t even know will work for you.
- Just another huckster pop-up shop. How do we know if a company is the real-deal or just a fly-by-night operation trying to make a quick buck on this new craze? How can you tell which company is focused on bringing a quality product to the market, and will offer you great customer service?
Though it often felt like the search for the Holy Grail, we narrowed our criteria down to a few major factors to address the key concerns our readers had.
- Weight Loss Effective HCA: There are two critical aspects that make Garcinia Cambogia effective for weight loss: amount of HCA and the daily dosage amount. It is important to go with a company that has the highest amount of HCA. Anything less than the correct amount of HCA and dosage will not work effectively.
- Integrity & Reputation: Go with a company that sells more than just Garcinia Cambogia. If a company is just selling this one item, buyer-beware!!! It is an indication that it is just trying to capitalize on a trend and make a quick buck. Also, if a website selling Garcinia Cambogia does not have a highly visible 800# for customer service, you should walk away.
- Money-Back Guarantee: Find a company who has a “no questions asked” money-back guarantee. The last thing you want to do is waste your time arguing with a company that won’t let you return a product you sunk your hard earned money into. Also, if a company won’t stand behind its product, take that as a red flag.
- Third-Party Quality Testing. It’s important to know that what you are getting is what is actually advertised. Select a company who has documented third-party testing and verification of the ingredients on its label and its effectiveness.
Our Research Approach
With so many Garcinia Cambogia products coming into the market, we decided to separate the winners from the losers. We pulled out our magnifying glasses, beakers and scientific calculators and got to work.
We reached out to several raw material manufacturers and learned that Garcinia Cambogia is in short supply. We also learned that making a pure form of this supplement can be pricey, incentivizing many companies to cut corners. A company has to have the correct ingredients in the correct proportions in order for a Garcinia Cambogia formula to be effective. We learned that not just having HCA as the active weight loss ingredient was important – but, also that the amount of HCA needed to be at a precise level in order to be effective.
We tested over 72 different brands of Garcinia Cambogia in order to see which ones used sub-par or mostly filler ingredients, and which passed the quality verification test. Our strict process quickly eliminated many of the commonly advertised brands who were using these unwanted synthetic fillers and binders.
Lastly, we sought out real customers who used these products, and asked them about their experiences and results. Our team then reviewed all the responses, results and metrics.
The Results of Our Research
Yes, we are very cynical and who can blame us. The vast majority of the products we tested just did not pass our test for various reasons. The most common issue we found was that many did not contain the proper ingredients and proportion of the active ingredient.
Our research revealed that in order for Garcinia Cambogia to be effective and garner desired results, it had to contain a daily dose between 1400-1500 mg with a potent 95% HCA (hydroxycitric acid). This concentration is rare to come across in garcinia cambogia supplements.
This stringent requirement immediately eliminated 97% of the brands we reviewed.
Of the small handful of brands that actually did pass our key criteria, many had to be disqualified, as they did not offer an appropriate return policy, or they simply had too many unanswered negative customer reviews.
After an exhaustive study, the following are the top-rated brands we feel you can confidently choose from. Customers who used these brands had a good shopping experience and some even reported losing weight in as little as one week.
Our Top Garcinia Cambogia Pick
If you are thinking about trying Garcinia Cambogia, then Thrive Naturals Garcinia Cambogia is your best bet for real results!
We don’t give out our top award to just anyone, but Thrive Naturals is doing all the right things to deliver the purest, highest quality, and maximum strength Garcinia Cambogia, and we feel confident in recommending their product to you. Here is what we loved about their product:
- 1500 mg servings of potent, 95% HCA
- Pure and Natural
- Third Party Tested
- 1-Year Money Back Guarantee
- No Hassle Return Policy
- Reputable Brand
- Affordable Price
QUALITY : They use pure and high quality Ingredients and are the ONLY ones we found that had 95% HCA extract. No other brand came close to their 95% HCA with a daily dose of 1500 mg. The HCA in Garcinia Cambogia is the #1 most important element to help you lose weight. The higher the amount of HCA the faster and more effective weight loss you will experience. But, what also makes them stand out above all the rest was that they have a 1500 mg dose of Garcinia Cambogia. A critical factor for us is that this company does not use fillers, binders or synthetics in their product. We love the fact that their capsules are vegetarian, which is a nice bonus for health conscience consumers.
REPUTATION: We were blown away by the top-notch reputation that Thrive Naturals has in the industry. From the consumers we interviewed, we found that this company has a legion of loyal brand advocates. Their customers frequently told us that they found Thrive Naturals easy to communicate with, and quick to process and deliver their orders. The company has an amazing track record of customer service and prides itself on its Risk-Free No Questions Asked 1-YEAR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE. As an online advocate for consumer rights, we were happy to see that they have no hidden fees nor ongoing monthly billing programs that many others try to trap consumers into.
The company also has a variety of other popular wellness products to choose from on their website, making them a unique shopping destination.
GUARANTEE: If you are searching for the best Garcinia Cambogia product available from a reputable and customer-focused company with a 1-Year 100% money back guarantee, then Thrive Naturals is the best choice we have found. They get our 2018 Editor’s Choice Award!
The only concern we had, which we did address with a representative of their company, was that due to their loyal repeat customers, strong reputation and overwhelming product demand, they tend to sell out quickly. We strongly recommend that you place your order as soon as possible, while supplies last.
Our 2nd choice for a Garcinia Cambogia supplement is Nutrition Inferno’s Garcinia Cambogia. We were pleased to see that their formula included 60% HCA. In addition, we liked that they did not use fillers, binders or other synthetic ingredients. The product contains chromium, though, which we are not sure is necessary.
However, they fell short in several categories. The key issue with their product is that the dosage is only 1000mg per serving. This is too far below the recommended 1600mg for maximum effectiveness. This means that in order to garner the maximum effectiveness, their 30-day supply would really be more of a 20-day supply, costing you more money.They also are still far less effective than our #1 pick’s 95% HCA, making their product less effective.
Another notable downside is that they use gelatin, not vegetarian capsules. With a myriad of health concerns in the market today, we strongly feel that the use of a vegetarian capsule is a wiser choice for our readers.
We often really like the products made by Puritan’s Pride, a quality supplier of supplements to health food stores. We like the variety of supplement options they tend to offer. Unfortunately, it was not the case with their Garcinia Cambogia.
We were initially impressed with the low advertised price of their product. However, we quickly determined not everything that glitters is really gold. Their Garcinia Cambogia is loaded with additives such as magnesium stearate, silica, dicalcium phosphate and others to reduce their manufacturing costs.
At only 50% HCA and 1000mg of the extract, its dosage is much lower than we wanted to see. It missed too many of our key criteria and so we could not endorse this product theirs. Simply, if you don’t mind an insufficient amount of HCA, an inclusion of unwanted ingredients and virtually no potassium to help with absorption – then this could be a good fit for you.
P.S. Even though Thrive Naturals is the best Garcinia Cambogia we have found, we would still love to hear about other Garcinia Supplements that you have tried! If you have had a great experience with a Garcinia supplement that we did not cover in this article, let us know! E-mail me at: [email protected] We’ll check it out for you and if it looks good, we’ll post it on our site!
Our Readers’ Comments
1H Kohsuke. “Effects of Garcinia cambogia (Hydroxycitric Acid) on Visceral Fat Accumulation: A Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trial.” Current Therapeutic Research. 2003 Sept;64(8):551-567.
2H Preuss. “Efficacy of a novel, natural extract of (–)-hydroxycitric acid (HCA-SX) and a combination of HCA-SX, niacin-bound chromium and Gymnema sylvestre extract in weight management in human volunteers: a pilot study.” Nutrition Research. 2003 Sept;24(8):45-58.
3Downs BW. “Bioefficacy of a novel calcium-potassium salt of (-)-hydroxycitric acid.” Mutation Research. 2005 Nov 11;579(1-2):149-62. Epub 2005 Aug 1.